Life. Love. Family. Our Perfect Imperfection. Living life as a Catholic, homeschooling family with three amazing, unique boys, a too-oft serious, frustrated and anxious but also loving momma, and a fun-loving, hardworking dad.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

My kitchen finds

Since I had to go buy dog food today, Jack-Jack and I went to Meijer after dropping the older boys at school. He had fallen asleep, so I had a chance to walk around for a few minutes. I've been looking to add some gadgets to our kitchen for a while now, so when I found two I wanted for such a good deal, I had to have them. ;-)

For the last year, we've had a membership to Costco, and I've been buying bulk cheese, including Parmesan. I just shred it here and Oh My Goodness!! It really does taste better freshly shredded. I purchased some bagged, shredded cheddar a couple of weeks ago, and truly, YUCK! Anyway, I've been trying to grate Parmesan for spaghetti and other things using our 4-sided cheese shredder. Let me tell you, it was not easy to do. I've been wanting one of the nice rotary graters but couldn't find one. I've also gotten away from buying spray oils (Pam, etc) and using olive oil or butter to grease pans. To be honest, it's a pain in the butt because I always use too much olive oil and that stuff isn't terribly expensive but it's not cheap, especially the organic that I try to always get. I've been coveting those refillable oil sprayers, which again I couldn't find locally. They are both on my Amazon wish list but I was waiting.

Today, I happened across BOTH at Meijer!!

The Misto Oil Sprayer was $9.99 and the KitchenAid Rotary Grater was $12.99. Both were less than I've seen on Amazon! (Of course, now that I'm looking again, I do see some that are around the same price, maybe a bit lower, but if you don't have Amazon Prime, most places have shipping so it would be the same or more and you have to wait to get it!)

I'm wanting to start organizing our kitchen a little better and replacing some of the items so I may make this a new Wednesday thing. Each week, I will try to post something about our kitchen, whether it's a new gadget, an item I have that I started using more frequently as we continue on our "real food" journey, or something we've organized/changed.

Comment with something you would like in your kitchen or have done to or bought for your kitchen recently.

6 comments:

  1. Ooo! I love cooking with olive oil, and it can be a pain. I had NO idea they even made oil misters! Perfect! Thanks for the tip. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! I found out about it at the blog I mentioned in yesterday's post (100 days of real food). She's got TONS of good tips, tricks and recipes. Thanks for the comment, btw!

      Delete
  2. I'm going to have to check and see if our Meijer carries the oil mister! I only cook with olive oil these days. By the way I love Jackson's nickname! We call Jacqueline that too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it on the bottom shelf where all the spatulas and things are at, where they have some of the bigger items like food mills and stuff. I hope you find it! ... Hehe, I actually started calling him that after one of Jason's coworkers called him that over the summer. It kinda stuck. It usually alternates between Jax, Jack and Jack-Jack, LOL. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  3. Sweet! I wish we had a meijjer.. Sharon always gets good stuff too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yeah, there are some great deals there!

      Delete

I love to get comments but please keep it respectful! :)