Life. Love. Family. Our Perfect Imperfection. Living life as a Catholic, homeschooling family with three amazing, unique boys, a too-oft serious, frustrated and anxious but also loving momma, and a fun-loving, hardworking dad.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

READ, READ, AND RE-READ THOSE LABELS!!!



I started writing this on FaceBook, but quickly realized that my little status update/photo share was turning in to a long rant. LOL. So here goes: I went grocery shopping this weekend and bought these 2 items because I had coupons. I didn't check the labels closely. I usually trust Dole and Welch's. They both have some good products, but that doesn't mean they are all "ok" to eat. Blindly trusting manufacturers is not the best decision. We are trying to avoid HFCS, and drink 100% juice. The mango twist is only 20% juice and it's 2nd ingredient is HFCS, right after water. That means it has more of both of those than it does actual juice. (Ingredients are listed in order of amount, 1st ingredient being the most, and so on). I usually by the Dole fruit cups that are packed in just juice, no added sweeteners. The Dole canned tropical fruit has added sugar (hence the "light syrup) and while it's not the 1st or 2nd ingredient, it's not really needed. Fruit is sweet enough on it's own. It really doesn't need added sugar. If our kids get used to eating it without sugar, they will soon realize that it's delicious with out extra sweeteners. Our taste buds are so used to all the extra sugar and HFCS because it's in EVERYTHING! If we stop eating so much, our sense of taste can adjust and we can enjoy food the way it's meant to be, the way God and nature intended.


That's not to say I don't love candy (especially chocolate) and Pepsi, but I guarantee 20+ years of having those have made a big difference in that. Over the last couple of years, I've learned to enjoy many foods, things I've never even tried before.

(BTW, a piece of dark chocolate, even once a day, isn't necessarily a bad thing. It has antioxidants, plus if you truly like it, it can be a bit of a stress relief ;-) )

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get comments but please keep it respectful! :)