Life. Love. Family. Our Perfect Imperfection. Living life as a Catholic, homeschooling family with three amazing, unique boys, a too-oft serious, frustrated and anxious but also loving momma, and a fun-loving, hardworking dad.

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Six Ingredient Challenge, #6

Six Ingredient Challenge buttonJoin the Six Ingredient Challenge hosted by Hobo Mama and Anktangle!
We're on a six-week path to eat more whole foods, guided by one simple rule: Buy foods with six ingredients or fewer. And we're blogging about our journey on the way.
This week we're answering the question: What are you learning about your body through this challenge? Your family's rhythms and routines? Your feelings about food?
You can see all the responses to this question on March 14 at the link-up post.
To join in the Six Ingredient Challenge anytime during the six weeks, visit the sign-up page for a list of posts and to link up!

***


So I'm whipping this post out really quickly this morning. Honestly I forgot! 

I would have to say that I've learned a lot of what I crave when it comes to food. I already knew I am a carb-aholic and can't seem to make it more than a day without a Pepsi. :( I feel better physically when I eat better.  This is probably TMI, but I have digestive issues when I eat things that are not good for me, and since eating better, especially over the last few weeks, those instances have been almost non-existent! The only times I did have a problem was the few times we either ordered pizza or had fast food (I know, I know, but sometimes it really is just easier! I am trying to learn not to beat myself up for making these bad choices and to try and make less of them :) ) I've also realized - duh! - I have more energy and am less irritable when I eat better foods! Less processed is really better for me physically and emotionally. Just need to remember that when I want to reach for the "easy" choice, whether at the store, or passing the drive-thru. 

Our routines and rhythms really do ebb and flow! We like to eat a lot of the same things, and most of the time, they are easy meals, but can be made healthy. Spaghetti, for example - whole wheat pasta with 1 ingredient, covered with a very good (preferably organic) spaghetti sauce full of veggies, topped with parmesan and maybe some ground beef, can be made even better by adding some fresh chopped veggies into the sauce and having a salad on the side, and maybe leaving out the garlic bread ;) We aren't an extraordinarily busy family, but Tuesdays, our middle son, Alex and Jason go to cub scouts, Saturday mornings the older 2 have Catechism class most weeks, and they have homework most nights - especially right now with "March is reading month" calendars and "play 60" books to do - so after we get home from school, we have to fit homework, dinner, and play time into just a few short hours and sometimes I am trying to cook while taking care of a crabby toddler who may or may not have napped! So trying to find a good rhythm while also making sure there are healthy meals on the table has been a challenge and seems to be getting easier as time goes on.

I have realized lately that all I think about is food! Well maybe not all, but it feels like I'm constantly thinking about what's for breakfast, lunch, dinner, what's healthy, what's not, food dyes, grocery shopping, the budget, etc. I am having a hard time NOT thinking about food in some way, shape or form. I've also realized I have a food addiction. I'm overweight, but not hugely obese, I'm 185(ish? LOL) and only 5'6-7" - not 100% sure how tall I am - and I know I need to lose weight, about 50lbs or so. My weight fluctuates a little but has sat about here for the last 8 years or so, except when I was pregnant this last time, when my weight reached it's highest at around 205lbs. Obviously, at that point I wasn't worried about it, since I was pregnant. But now, over a year later, I am back at my pre-pregnancy weight, and even though we are still breastfeeding on demand, I have not lost any additional weight. I know that it's because I overeat, I drink pop way too much (too much sugar!) and choose to eat sugary, carb-loaded, processed foods... because that's what I'm addicted to. I keep telling myself moderation. However, I think it's finally hit me. I can't DO moderation with these things. It's all or nothing. Not to minimize an alcoholic's or drug addict's struggle, but in it's own way, I feel like that is what I'm dealing with. It's hard to put that out there, especially considering I know family and friends will read this. It's very hard to admit you have a problem. I also realize that without help, I may never be able to stop eating the crap food that I "love"...

1 comment:

  1. That's a great post for being whipped out at the last minute! :)

    It sounds like you have a really good handle on what you need to eat to keep your body running well, and how you need to schedule things to work for your family. With kids, even "not too busy" families can be pretty busy! It's great that you have healthful meals you can whip up easily.

    I also think about food a LOT. But it's so goooood, lol. I agree that for some of us on certain items, we have to go cold turkey or nothing. Our family had to do that for fast food, because otherwise it's a slippery slope and we're back to eating it constantly. I sometimes envy the people who can eat it "once in awhile," but that's just not who we are, and we've had to honor that. As some inspiration for you, I gave up grains and most sugar in October, and the cravings lessened the less I ate them, to the point where I'm not obsessed with those things now, unless I give in and start eating them! So if you can really cut the things out you want to, that in itself will help your cravings be manageable. (Hope that was inspirational and not scary, ha ha!) But, either way, it sounds like you're doing great things for your body as is!

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments but please keep it respectful! :)