Life. Love. Family. Our Perfect Imperfection. Living life as a Catholic, homeschooling family with three amazing, unique boys, a too-oft serious, frustrated and anxious but also loving momma, and a fun-loving, hardworking dad.

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Alex's First Communion

Today was a very special day for Alex! It was his First Communion. He woke up very excited.

My parents, my sister Heather, her fiance and their kids came to the house first thing this morning. Everybody except my dad went to Mass and Julie and her boys and nephew met us there. It was a wonderful Mass! Jason and I went with Alex when it was his turn to go up for Communion. He was nervous but excited. He remembered everything he was supposed to say and do. They had us get there a half hour early and the First Communicants went out and came in with the procession at the start of Mass, sat with us, then went back out for the offering - taking a loaf of bread for the food pantry - and then also went up with Father for the Our Father. Each child with their parents went one at a time before the rest of the congregation. My sister was able to snap a couple of pictures for us. :)

After Mass, we came back home and enjoyed sloppy joes, hot chicken sandwiches, veggies, chips, deviled eggs, baked beans, homemade lemonade and pop, and my sister's homemade brownies. Jackson was covered with food by the time he was done. All the big kids went outside and played for awhile and also in the basement after we cleaned up. Jason's family showed up and visited for awhile, before Jason and his dad took back the tables and chairs. It was funny, they accidentally forgot a few chairs, so Julie and I ran them up there. Jack had fallen asleep for a bit, so I made sure Jason's sister was ok with it before we left. We also had to make a quick drive to the library. Can you believe that Alex needs facts about an animal tomorrow for a research report they are writing and they didn't have any books about his animal?? Of course he did pick a stoat, or ermine. Seriously, kiddo? Don't pick anything easier, like, oh I don't know? ANYTHING! Ha!

Now that everybody's gone home, it's so quiet around here! My older boys are off playing video games for a bit and Jackson's building with his blocks, Jas is watching golf and I'm just sitting here.

Thinking about what's for dinner, and knowing I need to run to the store for dish soap and t.p. and not wanting to! I'm just a bit tired. It's almost 6:30 and I really have no desire to move from this couch tonight. I think I'll just stop at the store on the way home from school tomorrow morning. The dishes that can go in the dishwasher will get cleaned tonight, and what can't, well, they can just wait to tomorrow! :)

Thanks again to everybody who was able to make it today! We had a wonderful time sharing this day of joy with you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get comments but please keep it respectful! :)