Life. Love. Family. Our Perfect Imperfection. Living life as a Catholic, homeschooling family with three amazing, unique boys, a too-oft serious, frustrated and anxious but also loving momma, and a fun-loving, hardworking dad.

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Goal-oriented: An Update

It's been a few months since we have shared how we are doing on our 2014 goals. I'm taking a little bit of my day to sit down and write today, so here goes. (If you aren't aware of our goals, check them out here!)

I'll start by sharing the boys' progress!

Since our last update back in April, Ethan has completed level 2 in swimming at our rec center, and gone to social skills day camp in July, which he really enjoyed and learned a lot. He has added 17 more books to his total for the year bringing it to 32 so far: After Ever After; Steampunk: an anthology of fantastically rich and strange stories; The book of Mordred; The Guinness Book of World Records 2014: Gamer's Edition; Timmy Failure: mistakes were made; Tuck Everlasting; Flawed Dogs; Heartbreak Messenger; Where the Red Fern Grows; Killer Pizza: the slice; A Day No Pigs Would Die; Stargirl; The Loser List: Revenge of the Loser; Julie of the Wolves; Snoopy: Cowabunga comic; Liar, Liar; and I, even, funnier!

Alex has also completed level 2 in swimming, and attended cub scout twilight camp. He had lots of fun, and got to do archery, bb gun shooting, arts and crafts and play games. He's read another 12 books since April, bringing his current total read to 29! The new books he's read are Nellie Oleson meets Laura Ingalls; The Georges and the Jewels; How to eat fried worms; Number the Stars; Galaxy Zach: Hello Nebulon; Arnie the Donut; Benjamin Pratt & the keepers of the school; Sisters of the sword: Chasing the secret; Encyclopedia Brown & the case of the exploding plumbing; Puppy Place: Rascal; I survived the Battle of Gettysburg 1863; and Amulet.

Both boys are currently reading Hidden Like Anne Frank, a collection of 14 stories.

As far as learning a second language, and learning to cook a couple of simple recipes,, there has been no progress for Ethan OR Alex. In fact, we haven't even attempted them as of yet. Volunteering with mom hasn't happened yet, unless you count picking up trash as a family with Alex's cub scout pack last week...

Ethan hasn't had an opportunity to take a video game design class, and hasn't started working on a comic yet. Alex didn't work on any belt loops but did get his new religious emblem book to start working on earning that. It's part of the Webelos requirements.

Ethan and Alex both added Start a new activity to their goals, and have fulfilled that by starting Choi Kwon Do this week (you can check out a short video on our Instagram or Facebook page!). I'm expanding that goal, by adding a secondary one of sticking to it for the rest of 2014! We signed up for one month to start, and they have the opportunity - if they go to a certain number of classes - to take their first belt test on the 30th. Alex also has another activity added: Attend cub scout pack camp out and fishing derby and he and Jason are going to that this coming Saturday!

Jackson is slowly working on potty-training. He's gone a few times in the last couple of weeks, and knows to tell us as soon as he goes in his diaper. We are working on him telling us BEFORE he goes and he has told me a couple of times - hence the reason he's used the potty a few times :). Jack didn't pass the level B swim classes, but was very close. Not sure when we will schedule the next session, probably a day-time class after school starts...

He is doing great with his colors, recognizes most of his letters now - sometimes he confuses I and L, and B and D but is doing good, knows part of the ABC song, and is still a little confused when counting to 10. Skipping numbers or repeating counting items. His goals are getting an added goal as well: Start preschool this fall. This one depends on age and potty-training. He has to be out of diapers with minimal accidents, as well as 33 months old, so the earliest will be October 3rd.

Now onto the other goals! I'm just going to do these in a list to make it easier.

Health 
2. Met my first goal of 10 lbs weight loss!!
3. Currently on my way (slowly) towards 20 lbs.

Diet-related goals
1. We have switched some things back - as previously noted - to organic. Also we have starting using coconut oil to cook with and that's all organic. Little steps here.
2. When I decided to do the Whole 30 back in June/July, I cut out all dairy as well as other things for 30 days. I had chosen earlier in the year to drop this goal and possibly revisit it. I'm glad to say it is back on the goals and technically DONE! Since July 25th, I've had little dairy and plan to continue that way. Not perfect every day, as we have had pizza twice but that is the most dairy I've had, and I see how it makes my tummy feel after. :)
3. I haven't been keeping track 100% but I'm pretty sure we've been keeping up with 2-3 new recipes a month. Especially from June 24 through July 24th! We tried SEVERAL new paleo/Whole30 recipes during that time and since. If we were "missing" the goal, we made up for it during that time for sure!

Doctor/Dentist
2. All three of the boys have had their yearly check-ups. Jason and I still need to go for ours.

Pay-off/Debt control
1. We refinanced Jason's motorcycle this month and in the process were able to pay off the mini-van. The "extra" money from that van payment (until we decide if we are replacing it) is going to pay down credit cards, as well as Jason's BAH he gets from the VA for going to school, come September.

Home Management
1. The boys have been pretty good about doing their daily chores: empty/fill the dishwasher, feed/water and let the dog in and out, clean their room and the basement playroom, make their beds, pick up the living room (toys, books, etc), take out the recycling and also putting their folded clothes away. They also help when asked to do other things like help Jack pick up his room. We are adding new chores this week: Wipe the kitchen counters, bathroom counters, kitchen table, vacuum their room, help fold laundry. They have done those things, but it will be added to their daily chores as a consistent item. And honestly, I haven't been consistent on having them do everything, every day.

2. To be honest, I've been slacking with using the MOMO app, and doing more than the quick, general clean-up around here. I'm getting back on it this week!

5. Added a new goal of Declutter! I'm getting rid of things, whether donating, trashing/recycling or giving to someone we know that can use it, and finding proper homes for other things in our own house. If we decide to move to a different house, I really don't want to move a bunch of things we don't need or want! You would think after all the moves we've made in the last 13+ years - 7 different times of packing and unpacking, not including the short (long) hotel stay when we first moved to Maryland and the couple of months we lived at Jason's parents when we moved pack to Ohio and all of our things were in storage! - we would have done that a long time ago. Actually, we probably did and have just accumulated more STUFF.

My personal goals 

1. My reading total: 6! The Remains; Destined (by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast); The Ghost of Crutchfield Hall; Deep and dark and dangerous; Animal Farm. Currently reading 4 books...
2. I haven't been spending any time knitting, so I'm dropping my goal of finishing my project.
12. I've been better about writing or posting at least once a week.
14. I completely FORGOT about this one! Pinterest has tons of great ideas, and I need to spend a little time on there this week and pick our August item, and maybe make up a few months' worth as well ;)
16. Still working on the genealogy, rather inconsistently though.

Most of my goals have not been achieved or even attempted! I think this fall might be a good time to attempt a photography class and an additional enrichment class, as well as a volunteer or pay it forward opportunity.

I'm not updating on Jason's goals really, but maybe I can have him look over them and tell me where he thinks he is on them. I do know he took the summer off from classes, took 2 of 4 weeks' worth of vacation so far, and did well in his Spring semester, although I'm not sure what his GPA is. He is currently registered for 3 classes set to start in Aug/Sept.

Well, that's all for now!
Find us on Facebook and Instagram!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get comments but please keep it respectful! :)